Are you tired of the same old recipes for the holidays? Think outside the box & spice things up this year by adding spicy sausage to the menu! Try out the below recipes to give your guests a holiday feast with a festive kick!
Cheesy, Spicy Sausage & Pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar-Jack cheese
- 1 lb Meyer’s Jalapeno & Cheese Texas Sausage
- 1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes
- 8 oz dry cavatappi pasta
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp of salt & pepper each
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Place olive oil into a pan over medium heat and add in the onions & sausage – cook for 5 minutes, then add garlic & remaining seasonings – cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, pasta, milk, & tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and continue cooking for 15 minutes, covered.
- Add cheese to the mixture, and when melted remove from the heat.
- Serve & enjoy!
Spicy Cajun Casserole
- 16 oz dry Cavatappi pasta
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 oz Meyer’s Hot Texas Sausage
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1-2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Start by cooking the Cavatappi pasta according to package directions. Drain & set aside when pasta is finished.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the garlic and cook until fragment or 1-2 minutes. Stir in the flour & mix well.
- Pour in the chicken broth & whisk until smooth, then stir in the Half & Half.
- Add in salt, pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes and simmer mixture until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Next, stir in the Parmesan cheese and 1 cup of mozzarella until melted and smooth.
- Slice the spicy sausage into ¼ inch pieces and combine with the sauce along with the chopped parsley and pasta.
- Preheat broiler. Pour pasta mixture into a lightly greased 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Top with remaining cup of mozzarella cheese. Broil for 2-3 minutes or when cheese is golden & bubbly.
Spicy Sausage & Three-Cheese Grilled Cheese
- 6-inch piece of Meyer’s Hot Texas Sausage
- 2 slices of marble rye bread
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ cup whipped cream cheese
- ¼ cup Gouda, shredded
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- Spread the butter onto each slice of Rye bread.
- On the opposite sides of the bread slices, spread 2 tbsp of the cream cheese & top with shredded cheese.
- Slice the spicy sausage into 3 pieces lengthwise & place into a small skillet. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the sausage onto the bread and fold sandwich together, with buttered sides facing out. Place sandwich into the same skillet & cook, covered, for 2-3 each side or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately & enjoy!
Shrimp & Spicy Sausage Stew with Steamed Rice
- 1 lb Meyer’s Hot Texas Sausage, cut into 1-in rounds
- 2 lbs fresh or frozen large shell-on shrimp, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 10-oz bag of fresh or frozen baby lima beans, thawed if frozen
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Using a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the spicy sausage & cook over high heat, stirring occasionally until light browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate using slotted spoon.
- Combine the onion, green bell pepper, & celery to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until softened or about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic & cayenne and cook for 1 minute, and then add in the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock & clam juice to the mixture and bring to a boil. Scatter lima beans, sausage, shrimp and half of the parsley on top, then cover the skillet and simmer mixture for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Rest the stew for 5 minutes, then top with remaining parsley and serve with steamed rice.
Spicy Sausage Potato Puffs
- 1 lb Meyer’s Jalapeno & cheese Texas Sausage, casings removed
- ¾ lb Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp finely chopped rosemary
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Coat four 12-cup mini muffin pans with cooking spray. In a saucepan, simmer the potatoes in water over medium heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Let potatoes cool slightly, then peel & coarsely mash.
- In a separate medium skillet, cook the spicy sausage over high heat until browned, about 8 minute. Coarsely crumble the sausage when cooked.
- Bring the water, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add in the flour, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until combined. Set the pan back on high heat cook, stirring frequently until it comes away from the side of the pan, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the dough at a low speed for about 1 minute, and then beat in the eggs one at a time at medium speed. Next, beat in the Gruyere, Parmesan, rosemary, thyme, & pepper. Lastly, stir in the sausage crumbles and potatoes.
- Fill each muffin cup three-quarter full with the dough. Brush the tops with the egg wash and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden & puffed. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly, then serve.
Image used under license from Shutterstock.com